Windows 11 taskbar has a new design. I like the new design, but it differs from the Windows 10 old design. On Windows 10, you could drag and drop files on the taskbar. But that doesn’t happen anymore on Windows 11. But other programs can do that same thing for us if we want them to use third-party tools.
How to Enable Drag and Drop on Windows 11 Taskbar
This article will explain why drag and drop are not working on the Windows 11 taskbar. I’ve also found a way to fix it and another app that does the same thing differently. So without any more waiting, let’s get started!
Drag and Drop is not working on Windows 11 Taskbar? Here’s why!
Drag and drop are not working with the new taskbar on Windows 11. Microsoft did not put support for this in it. So you can’t drag and drop apps onto the taskbar to make quick shortcuts anymore. Also, you can’t drag and drop files to an app shortcut on the taskbar.
It was handy if you wanted to edit images or move documents from the Explorer to your favorite Windows browser that way.
In a Windows 11 update, Microsoft took out the drag-and-drop function. But in Microsoft’s official forum, people complained about this change and said it was awful, and there are many complaints regarding fixing this issue. So now Microsoft will add back the drag-and-drop function in the next update to Windows 11.
Microsoft may bring back the ability to drag and drop in Windows 11. This feature will be available in Insider builds after December and in the stable version sometime next year.
The drag and drop feature has not been updated in Windows 11. To get it back, you need to install a free app that adds the drag and drop function back in Windows 11 taskbar.
The Third-party tool to Fix Drag and Drop in Windows 11
1. First, you need to download the ‘Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix.exe‘ file from GitHub.
2. While downloading the file, your web browser may flag the file as spam. Hence you need to select Keep anyway to continue the download file.
3. Once you have downloaded the file, open the application. It will run some command operations. Now you can drag and drop files into the Windows 11 taskbar.
4. To stop the application, you can select the Quit button to end the program, which you can find in the system tray.
Run Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix on Windows Startup
If you want to start the Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix.exe application on windows 11 startup!. Follow the steps.
1. Do Right-click on the Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix tool Icon. It appears in the system tray, and now choose Configure button.
2. It opens a file Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFixConfig.txt. In there, you can see AutomaticallyRunThisProgramOnStartup set as 1 value. Then the drag and drop feature automatically runs once you start the program. If you set the value as 0, the program will not start automatically. Hence you need to run the tool manually whenever you need it.
Use Windows 11 app to Enable Drag and Drop
Another method to fix the drag and drop feature in Windows 11 is different from the previous method. The app will add a part in the top screen notch to drag and drop files.
- Download the app from Microsoft Store
Thanks to these handy workarounds, you can easily bridge the gap in functionality. If found this guide helpful and want an easy way of bringing back drag-and-drop on the Windows 11 taskbar? Check out our article with simple steps showing how!